"I've lived in the east coast of Singapore practically all my life, mostly in that little area of the east coast called Katong. We Katong-ites think this place is special. It has got good food, lovely old buildings and great people. In particular, the Peranakans and Eurasians have strong communities here and I, of course, am a bit of both."
So this blog is about Katong - people, places and memories. I also include a number of recipes, and posts about my family and growing up in this area, and about the Peranakan and Eurasian communities.
The third post, tried to answer the question, where exactly is Katong? Aside from Tanjong Katong Rd, I don't recall any roads being called "Katong" road. There are a number of buildings (like Katong Shopping Centre, Katong Mall, Katong Convent!) but nothing very specific. Then there is Katong CC which is way out by Fort Road! Not really Katong at all - more like Mountbatten, or even in Kallang!
Katong, as I define it, is roughly bordered by the following roads:
- In the South, by Marine Parade Road. Now, I think this is debatable. Marine Parade has got a slightly different character to Katong. It is also far newer and built on reclaimed land (old time Katong residents can recall the days when their homes were by the sea). But anyone staying in Marine Parade would be eating, shopping or passing through Katong all the time and vice versa. So in practice it is hard to de-link the two (e.g. my last post was all about Marine Parade!).
- In the North, by Changi Road. Again, a little debatable. But Ceylon Road, Joo Chiat Road, Still Road are definitely in Katong. So it seems logical that where these roads end, that's roughly where Katong should end too.
- In the East, by Frankel Avenue (beyond that it is already Siglap)
- In the West, by Tanjong Katong Road (or possibly by Haig Road, but at least Tanjong Katong Road has the right name).
- I typically will not respond to requests for recipes, etc. I have shared recipes for some dishes on this site and if I've not shared a recipe, it is typically because it's taken directly from a cookbook and I do try to respect someone else's intellectual property. In any case, there are probably many other recipes out there - just search.
- I reserve the right to delete or modify comments. It's my blog after all! I've noticed a few comments which include a link to a commercial site (eg on-line shop). I don't promote or advertise for anyone on this blog and I don't want anyone else to do so either. Of course, there are kind souls out there who do want to give helpful tips and suggestions and those remain very welcome.