Saturday, February 13, 2010

Clouds on the horizon

I was very busy over this past week so I did not have much time to do any of my beading work.  So, I spent a few hours this weekend working on my shoes.  I am still very slow, but definitely a lot faster than before.

My friend suggested that instead of sewing beads on line by line, I could consider sewing the individual clouds on.  This, she hoped, would result in fewer errors being made.  Didn't quite turn out that way, but indeed, I felt a certain amount of gratification at seeing the pink, rosy clouds take shape quickly beneath my fingers. 



However, due to the design of the clouds, it is resulting in the creation of little corners which are then harder to bead effectively.  So, I may go back to sewing the beads line by line.

I have also been reading the book, "Peranakan Beadwork: My Heritage", by Bebe Seet.  She writes about how she found it difficult to find someone who was willing to teach her to made the beaded shoes.  Finally she found an old lady but after a few months, this old lady passed away.  By then, Bebe had learnt enough to proceed on her own.  I find Rumah Bebe's things a little on the pricey side, but then again, I suppose the knowledge which she took such pains to gain and then to share is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...